Ep 06: How To Build A Thriving Gym, Debt FREE!
In Episode 6 we talk to Jerry Trubman. Jerry is a Senior SMK Instructor for Strength Matters. He is also the owner and founder of The Protocol Strength & Conditioning in Tucson, AZ. Today he shares a wealth of information on building a blog, a community, an audience, and a business.
Jerry began in the fitness industry as a personal trainer. Then he became involved with kettlebells and met Steve Maxwell. This led him to getting into kettlebells and mobility work. He then began training in basketball courts until he opened his own gym. It took about 3 years for Jerry to get a 600 square foot rented space to begin The Protocol. He was able to grow this within a year to get a larger space and his own real location, instead of a rented space.
Today’s topics include:
- The pressure of having to grow The Protocol into a business with a large enough client base to get his own space
- To grow the business within a year, Jerry created a blog and newsletter. His readership was small, but very loyal. He created content with a small call-to-action about his gym at the end. He also used word-of-mouth referrals.
- Jerry also used in-person interaction to meet local people to sign-up for his newsletter. He went to fitness fairs, running groups, and anywhere his potential clients would hang out.
- Jerry creates one quality post a month, because he doesn’t want to flood people’s inboxes with crap
- His blog started to bear fruit once he hit about 500 real subscribers
- His blog post ideas come up organically through conversations and student questions, or inspiration from a colleague’s article.
- Jerry started his outdoor fitness business in a time when he needed to pivot. He started with nothing, so he made two election type signs to advertise his business. Since he only had two signs he would just move them around and people would say they see his signs everywhere.
- How Jerry is a closet runner and jogs from 4 to 8 miles every Thursday and he also does Sunday night yoga to balance out his fitness regimen
- The Protocol gym has produced clients with 57 State powerlifting records, 26 National records, 23 world records, and 3 certified kettlebell instructors, 7 marathon finishers, 3 Boston Marathon finishers, 1 Hawaii Ironman, and 3 National Powerlifting champions.
- The Protocol system is so simple that anybody can do it. They focus on people who really want to do it and learn the movement patterns. They can regress movements to hardly any movement at all.
Links and resources:
- The Protocol Strength & Conditioning
- The Protocol on Facebook
- What’s New Coach Interview with Jerry Trubman
- The Cardio Code
- Steve Maxwell
- Total Money Makeover
“Your goal is to get belly to belly with 21 people everyday” Jerry Trubman
“I still try to interact with people in person” Jerry Trubman
“The running community has gotten really intelligent about cross training” Jerry Trubman